- It is performed to detect findings in the abdominal cavity (adhesions, cysts, developmental defects of the uterus, chronic pain, diagnosis of endometriosis and infertility, etc.).
- It enables the removal or correction of issues found during the diagnostic laparoscopy or detected by ultrasound.
- Closing and interrupting (or removing) the fallopian tubes prevents the transport of the egg into the uterus and thus the possibility of its fertilization and pregnancy. The ovaries and thus their hormonal function are preserved.
- It is necessary to comply with the valid legislation of the Czech Republic
Laparoscopy, laparoscopic sterilisation
The procedure is performed under general anesthesia, with intubation. The abdominal cavity is filled with gas (CO2). Subsequently, a laparoscope (an optical device allowing the small pelvis and abdominal cavity to be overlooked) is inserted through the abdominal wall. Diagnostic laparoscopy is performed to simply inspect the organs of the small pelvis (uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, small pelvis). If laparoscopic surgery is planned - ie surgical laparoscopy (when the operation is connected, eg on the ovary, removal of the cyst, disruption of adhesions, etc.), it is necessary to make another 2-3 small skin incisions, which introduce other surgical instruments into the abdominal cavity.
Laparoscopy is one of the so-called minimally invasive techniques that are preferred today. The postoperative course is significantly better tolerated after these techniques and the recovery time is also significantly shorter. The whole surgical procedure takes about 20 - 60 minutes depending on the technical difficulty. The procedure is not performed during menstruation.
According to the range of performance and difficulty, we distinguish between surgical and diagnostic laparoscopy.
WHEN IS LAPAROSCOPY PERFORMED?
- If an ovarian cyst or ovarian pathology is found
- In the diagnosis and treatment of fibroids
- When examining an abnormal ultrasound finding
- For chronic lower abdominal pain
- In case of infertility – tests of patency of the fallopian tubes
- In ectopic pregnancy
- When checking after procedures on the uterus
- During laparoscopic sterilization - ie prevention of conception
TYPES OF LAPAROSCOPIC PERFORMANCE:
- laparoscopic adnexectomy = removal of one or both ovaries
- laparoscopic cystectomy, cyst extirpation = removal of the cyst from the ovary (the ovary remains)
- laparoscopic sterilization = irreversible interruption / removal of the fallopian tubes and prevention of fertility, it is not possible to conceive spontaneously after the procedure. The ovary and its hormonal function are preserved, including menstruation.
- laparoscopic adhesionolysis = loosening, disruption of adhesions in the abdominal cavity
- laparoscopic salpingectomy = removal of one or both fallopian tubes (eg in ectopic pregnancy)
It is performed by severing or clipping the fallopian tubes (salpingectomy). It is a small, laparoscopic, minimally invasive surgical procedure performed as a day care procedure with discharge the morning after the procedure. Within a few days, it is possible for a woman to return to normal life. Sterilisation in the Czech Republic is newly regulated by Act No. 373/2011 Coll., on specific health services.
Just to clarify, the ovaries are never removed, therefore hormonally everything remains as before the procedure. Pregnancy is then possible only by assisted reproduction methods (IVF).
The following conditions must be fulfilled before sterilisation:
- Minimum age 21 years
- Legal capacity
- Self-signed application form
- Instructions to the patient about the procedure, its consequences, risks, etc. The patient confirms the instructions by signing
- A 14-day cooling-off period follows
- After 14 days, the applicant gives consent by signing immediately before the procedure
PREPARATION BEFORE LAPAROSCOPY
It is essential to empty your bowels as much as possible for optimal performance. You will receive medication Yal to empty your bowel. It is advisable to apply it the evening before the procedure. Shake the Yal briefly to form a foam. After removing the cap of the vial, insert the enema tube into the rectum as far as it will go. Squeezing the plastic bottle will empty the foam and solution into the large intestine. Medication is for one use only. As with the use of enemas, it is important to try to keep the urge on the stool as long as possible. Usually after half an hour you are cleansed and ready for an examination or surgery.
Start dietary preparation for laparoscopy 2 days before surgery. Drink about 2-3 liters of fluids a day. The second day before the procedure it is suitable to consume a rather mushy diet, easily digestible. The day before the procedure, the last meal is at 12.00 - pure broth is preferable. Your last drink should be within 24 hours before surgery. Then do not eat or drink anything. Also, don't smoke. By following these guidelines, you can avoid complications during and after the procedure.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER LAPAROSCOPY?
Patients usually feel mild pain or pressure in the lower abdomen after the procedure, which subsides within a few days. It is advisable to take a week off of work after the surgery. The sutures used on laparoscopic scars on the abdomen are absorbable.
Although complications after laparoscopy are rare, the patient should contact her doctor if she bleeds excessively or experiences symptoms of infection, such as convulsions, fever, chills, and so on, after discharge. But always contact our clinic first so that we can advise you on how to deal with the situation!
HOW LONG AFTER LAPAROSCOPY CAN I TRAVEL?
The procedure is performed as a one-day care with us, the release is the next morning after the procedure. But it is very convenient to rest for one to two days at the hotel and travel the following day after the surgery.
DATES FOR PROCEDURE / TIMINGContact our coordinator for available appointments. Here is some information to help you to plan your procedure.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)Here you will find answers to most asked questions. In case of any doubts, our coordinators will contact you.